Minutes after Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani pushed for a 2G-free India saying the Centre should make it a part of history, former J&K CM Omar Abdullah said, “at the moment history is all we have in J&K.”
“Mobility has become affordable and democratic, it ceased to be a rich man’s monopoly long ago. Indeed, no other technological tool in human history has erased the rich-poor divide the way mobile telephony has,” he said while virtually addressing a celebration of 25 years of Mobility: Desh ki Digital Udaan organised by the Department of Telecommunications and the Cellular Operators Association of India.
Abdullah’s statement comes after the Jammu and Kashmir administration extended the ban on 4G internet services till August 19.
Ban On 4G Internet Services Till August 19
This development comes after Lieutenant Governor GC Murmu said that the administration has no objection in restoring 4G services in the Union Territory saying it will not be a security concern.
The order said there are inputs suggesting a rise in anti-national activities over the coming weeks, more so in view of the completion of one year since the implementation of constitutional changes, reported IANS.
“It was absolutely necessary in the interest of the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security of the state and for maintaining public order,” the order read.
During this period access to mobile data will be available at 2G speed.
Rise In Anti-National Activities Over The Coming Weeks
After Murmu’s statement last week, expectations were running high that 4G high-speed internet access would be restored in J&K shortly.
Yesterday, the Jammu and Kashmir Police were put on high alert after intelligence reports said that subversive elements were planning to disrupt peace during the next 15 days.
The first anniversary of the abrogation of Articles 370 and 35A and bifurcation of the state into two Union Territories which falls on August 5 is another major concern for the security forces.
Source: Times Now