Bengaluru Lockdown To Be Extended And in Other COVID19 ‘Red Zones’ Of Karnataka After April 14

K Sudhakar, the Karnataka Minister handling the COVID-19 affairs in the state, has announced that, including Bengaluru, a few other ‘red-zones’ in Karnataka will continue to be locked down, beyond the current stipulated date of April 14.

4-5 Red Zones in the State

Speaking the CNN News, Mr. K Sudhakar said:

We have identified red spots of COVID-19, wherever there are more than 9/10 cases, a 100% lockdown needs to be ensured in the area. According to the Karnataka government, the lockdown should continue in these red zones even after April 14 and even the lifting of the curfew needs to be in a phased manner.

K Sudhakar gave a clear explanation regarding the definition of a ‘red-zone’ and also, spoke about the government’s focus areas in curbing the outbreak.

Along with Bengaluru, which has accounted for 45 cases so far, Mysuru with 35 cases and Bidar with 10 are among the red-zones identified. Dakshin and Uttara Kannada with 8 cases also come into this category.

Regarding the lifting of lockdown in the future, he further added: 

In Karnataka, the chief minister will discuss with every stakeholder, with his cabinet colleagues and also consult the Centre, and then take a decision in the coming few days on how to lift the lockdown

Bengaluru Lockdown
Courtesy: Deccan Herald

25 of the 146 cases in Karnataka linked to the Tablighi incident

Mr. Sudhakar also provided the status of the tackling of the Tablighi Jamaat issue in the state. He said:

Quarantine procedure is the same for all whether they traveled to Delhi and were part of the markaz or traveled abroad. We have stuck to the 28-day quarantine period and continue to do so, but we saw more cases from the district that didn’t have a single case after this event. Had it not been for the Delhi event, we would have been in double digits in the state