An Unemployed Engineer From Udupi Surrenders In Bengaluru For Planting IED At Mangaluru Airport

Days ago, a live bomb was found in an abandoned bag near the ticket counters at the airport, creating horror. The police were on high alert searching for the accused all over the city. After a series of investigations, the accused was finally taken into custody by the Bengaluru police.

The accused was surrendered before police 

After there was a panic about the Improvised Explosive Device (IED) found at Mangaluru International Airport, the Mangaluru police were on high alert to find the suspect. The CCTV footage collected from the airport department showed that a middle-aged man, dressed in formal attire and wearing a cap, placing the bag at the airport.


Rao, before reaching the airport, carried two bags with him. He went to a salon shop and asked the workers to keep one of his bags there for some time, which they allowed and told him to keep it outside the salon. He then booked an auto-rickshaw with the other bag with the IED to reach the airport.

source: indiatvnews

The accused was identified as Aditya Rao, a 35-year-old mechanical engineer and an MBA graduate, who hails from Manipal Udupi district. He surrendered on Wednesday morning at the Karnataka police headquarters in Bengaluru. He was later taken to the Halsoor Gate police station for inquiry.

A former security guard

During inquiries by the police, the accused admitted that he had made several hoax calls in the past. The police are now investigating how Rao managed to make an IED and where did he get the explosives and other material from.


It is being reported that Rao had come to Bengaluru in 2012 in search of a job and he got placed at a private bank. However, the 35-year-old quit the job within a few days and returned to Mangaluru where he worked as a security guard.


Rao also had worked in Puthige Mutt, Udupi as a cook for some time. He thereafter went to Bengaluru again and joined an insurance company. Later, he left that job too and tried to become a security staff at the airport.

Mangaluru Polic commissioner Dr. PS Harsha said that a team will fly to Bengaluru shortly to investigate the development in connection with the MIA case. The team will question the suspect and will initiate further necessary legal steps. The suspect is currently questioned by the Bengaluru police.