The Budget presented by Nirmala Sitharaman favored middle-class Indians and promoted facilities for rural India. It also emphasized on using technology to streamline regular activities. Her Budget speech in the Parliament on July 5 also reflected upon the benefits that the National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) offers. This “One Nation One Card” was launched by the Modi government in its first term in March 2019.
Inter-Operable Transport Card
Nirmala Sitharaman in her speech said, “The NCMC standard developed is an inter-operable transport card allows holders to pay for their bus travel, toll taxes, parking charges, retail shopping and withdraw cash.” The card running on RuPay is issued by banks on pre-paid/credit/debit cards.
This indigenously-developed card has been developed in India. During its launch, PM Narendra Modi said, that India is “no longer required to be dependent on foreign technology”.The holder of this new card can pay various kinds of transport charges across the country such as metro services or toll taxes with this single card.
Thus, it offers a special convenience for those who rely on different modes of transportation for commuting on regular basis. Apart from that, the retailers can also use NTC for making day to day retail payments.
Key Points Of One Nation One Card
- It is possible to issue the mobility card in the form of credit, debit or prepaid card of a partner bank.
- It works similar to any RuPay debit/credit card and is available in more than 25 banks including SBI.
- It is possible to use the card for making payments across multiple segments including smart city, suburban railways, bus, metro, and retail shopping.
- The card can be used for making payments for parking or at the toll plaza
- The card comes with myriad offers including cash back on payment of bills.
- Other major offers include 5% cashback at ATMs and 10% cashback at merchant outlets abroad
- The card is supported by Automatic Fare Collection Gate “Swagat” along with “Sweekar”- an Open Loop Automatic Fare Collection System launched by PM Modi on March 4