Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the country for the third time on the outbreak of the global pandemic – the novel coronavirus. This is the first time the Prime Minister addressed the nation after imposing the complete lockdown in the country.
According to the latest data on March 29th, 2020, India has reported a total of 1040 confirmed cases of coronavirus out of which 928 are currently active. The death toll has crossed 25. 86 people have successfully recovered from the deadly virus.
Since the lockdown has been imposed, there is a lot of confusion in regard to essential food items and the lives of the urban poor. Prime Minister Modi addressed that nation through his Mann Ki Baat.
Here are the highlights:
- Prime Minister quoted Acharya Charak and said that those who serve patients without desiring any material gain are the best doctors. He further saluted ever nurse, para-medical staff and other healthcare workers along with the doctors.
- Narendra Modi also expressed disappointment over the misbehavior of some who broke the code of social distancing by coming on the streets. He urged them to be sensitive. He also requested them to increase social distancing but reduce emotional distancing.
- Apologizing to the poor who have been massively hit by the lockdown, Prime Minister said that the steps were extremely necessary. He stressed on the importance of tough measures in order to win the battle against coronavirus.
- He lauded the efforts of those that are fighting the battle on the front lines – the healthcare staff, the police, the banking sector, and the delivery boys – and referred to them as soldiers.
- He also gave the benefit of doubt to those who are breaking rules by saying not everyone does it deliberately. At the same time, he again urged people to follow the lockdown guidelines in order to save the country from the danger of coronavirus.
- Finally, he said that the battle against the COVID-19 disease is a tough one and an urgent one. He further emphasized the importance of harsh steps that are the need of the hour. By saying that the importance of the safety of Indians as the top priority, he again apologized for those who have to go through hardships in these testing times.