Sri Devi, an Indian actress and the Bollywood Diva who ruled the entire Indian Cine world for decades is now just a piece of memory. She was a personality of million colors who was loved and adored by people from all walks of life. Her untimely sad demise has not only left everyone in tears but also to a surprise that never gonna sync with the heard reality. With prayers and condolences, we are here with a few facts about Sri Devi on today’s article.
Breaking News: Sri Devi Died of Accidental Drowning in the Bath Tub, reveals autopsy report.
Lesser-Known Facts About Sri Devi
1. Sri Devi started her Cine career at the age of 4 as a child artist in Thirumugam’s Devotional movie, Thunaivan (1967).
2. Sri Devi was born on August 13, 1967, and was named as Shree Amma Yanger Ayappa. She later had to change it to Sri Devi for her screen life.
3. Sri Devi’s most numbers of movies came in Tamil with the legendary actor Kamal Hassan. This Jodi has given a maximum number of hits together and few among them are – Vayathinile, Vazhvemayam, Meendum Kokila, and Moondram Pirai. It will be surprising for you to know that Sri Devi was just 13 when she played Rajnikanth’s Stepmother in Moondru Mudichu (1976).
4. As a Child Artist, she has appeared in the number of films of different languages from Telugu, Tamil, Hindi to even a Kannada movie starring Dr.Rajkumar. The actress has also bagged Kerala State Film Award for Best Child Artist for her brilliant performance in Poompatta (1971). She also did Juli with Lakshmi and shared the screen with Jayalalitha in the movie Thirumangalyam.
5. Sri Devi started her Bollywood career with Solva Sawan (1979) however ‘Himmatwala’ gave her all success and attention. Going forward, she didn’t look back and went on giving hits after hits. Some of her legendary Hindi movies are Mawaali, Tohfa, Naya Kadam, Maqsad, Nazrana, Mr. India, Lamhe, Khuda Gawah, Laadla, Judai, and others.
6. If it is Sri Devi and Kamal Hassan in Tamil Industry then it is Sri Devi and Anil Kapoor in Bollywood. This Hit-Jodi will be remembered for all the movies that they did together. These two starred in 16 films and some of the gems include Mr. India, Lamhe, Laadla, and Judaai.
7. Shocking: Sri Devi had to reject a role that was offered to her by Steven Spielberg for Jurassic Park. Yes, it was a time when Sri Devi was at the peak of her film career. She was so popular that she caught the attention of Mr. Spielberg but the actress pushed it to dust as she felt there was no scope of performance in the role offered to her.
8. Sri Devi did not dub for most of her Hindi movies. It was Naaz and Rekha who dubbed Sri Devi’s dialogues. Quite surprising to know, right?
9. The 1992 Film Beta which paved the career for Madhuri Dixit as an icon of the Indian Cinema, was first offered to Sri Devi. Shah Ruk Khan’s Darr was also offered to Sri Devi but due to reasons, the actress didn’t take these roles.
10. Sri Devi has won 5 Filmfare Awards, Padma Shri and many other state and Honorary Awards including CNN-IBN’s ‘India’s Greatest Actress in 100 Years’ award.
The actress was attending Mohit Marwah’s Wedding in Dubai with husband Boney Kapoor and younger daughter Kushi. We also saw the pictures shared by her on Instagram but didn’t imagine of her sudden demise.
Have witnessed Sridevi's life from an adolescent teenager to the magnificeint lady she became. Her stardom was well deserved. Many happy moments with her flash through my mind including the last time I met her. Sadma's lullaby haunts me now. We'll miss her
— Kamal Haasan (@ikamalhaasan) February 25, 2018
I loved her, admired her so much. My 1st ever acting shot was with Sri Devi, I was nervous in front of her n I remember her shaking her hands pretending 2b nervous cause of me just 2 boost my confidence. V had 2 laugh,n she kept laughing until I got it right. Will miss you mam pic.twitter.com/OYXfurcIFx
— Hrithik Roshan (@iHrithik) February 25, 2018
Shocked stunned. Still see her laughing talking. Unbelievable. Actor par excellence. A school in herself.. learnt so much from her. Still can’t believe it . A huge loss. #Sridevi
— Kajol (@KajolAtUN) February 25, 2018
These were a few facts about Sri Devi. Which is your favorite movie of Sri Devi? Share with us in the comments below.
Get the Best of MetroSaga delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to MetroSaga and never miss an update from us.