Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos have become the first person ever whose net worth soared over USD 200 billion, according to Forbes and Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
The net worth of the world’s richest person went up by USD 4.9 billion after Amazon stock edged up two per cent as of Wednesday afternoon, Forbes reported. Bezos also owns aerospace company Blue Origin, the Washington Post and other private investments.
However, his nearly 11 per cent stake in Amazon makes up over 90 per cent of his massive fortune. The e-commerce giant saw a huge spike in demands for its services amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
Since the beginning of 2020, Amazon stock is up nearly 80 per cent, said the Forbes report, adding that Bezos` net worth on January 1 was roughly USD 115 billion.
While Forbes said that Bezos became worth USD 204.6 billion at 1.50 pm EDT on Wednesday, the Bloomberg Billionaires Index currently puts his net worth at USD $202 billion.
The person who is closest to Bezos now is Microsoft Co-Founder Bill Gates who is currently worth USD 116.1 billion, according to Forbes, while the Bloomberg Billionaires Index put his net worth at $124 billion.
Some Facts About Jeff Bezos
- Born in Albuquerque, raised in Houston and later Miami, Bezos graduated from Princeton University in 1986 with a degree in electrical engineering and computer science.
- Bezos worked on Wall Street in a variety of related fields from 1986 to early 1994.
- He founded Amazon in late 1994 on a cross-country road trip from New York City to Seattle.
- Amazon began as an online bookstore. Today Amazon is the world’s most enviable e-com giant.
- It also has earned massive success in video and audio streaming, cloud computing, and AI apart from product and services. It is currently the world’s largest online sales company, the largest Internet company by revenue, and the world’s largest provider of virtual assistants and cloud infrastructure services through its Amazon Web Services branch.
- Jeff Bezos also owns the Washington Post newspaper.
- He also owns aerospace company Blue Origin and has several other investments.
BILLIONAIRE NET WORTH
1. JEFF BEZOS$205.0B
2. BILL GATES$116.2B
3. BERNARD ARNAULT AND FAMILY$115.0B
4. MARK ZUCKERBERG$111.5B
5. ELON MUSK$95.5B
6. WARREN BUFFETT$81.1B
7. MUKESH AMBANI$80.9B
8. LARRY ELLISON$76.3B
9. STEVE BALLMER$74.9B