The Rihanna-Ganesha pendant controversy is the latest in the line of things that have sparked outrage against the pop sensation on Indian Twitter. Prior to this, she had drawn wide backlash for a single remark on the ongoing farmers’ agitation.
On February 16, the 32-year-old took to Twitter to share a topless picture of herself in which she can be seen sporting a purple pendant cut in the shape of the Hindu deity Ganesha. Here’s all you need to know about what really happened.
Rihanna-Ganesha Pendant Controversy: A Timeline
1. On February 16, the Love The Way You Lie singer took to Twitter to share an almost-bare photo of herself. While this was not the first time Rihanna went topless for the camera, a detail sitting on her stomach seems to have offended many on social media.
2. In the photo, Rihanna can be seen sporting a purple pendant cut in the figure of Hindu god Ganesha over her bare body, covered only by matching shorts, beads, jewellery and her tattoos.
3. Rihanna’s tweet has not gone down well with many social media users who are deeming it to be an affront to their religious faith. Added to many netizens’ resentment with the singer for remarking on the farmers’ protest, the backlash against her now seems to have doubled.
4. While some demand action from Twitter and CEO Jack Dorsey against this allegedly “offensive” picture, others are claiming this to be an instance of cultural appropriation.
— Rihanna (@rihanna) February 15, 2021
5. Rihanna had earlier kicked up a social media storm with a single tweet on the internet shutdowns surrounding farmers’ protest on February 2, which said, “why aren’t we talking about this?!” It had set the ball rolling on global attention accorded to the farmers’ protest.
Source: She The People