Padma awards are one of the highest civilian honors in India and are announced annually on January 26 on the occasion of Republic Day. Padma awards comprise three, Padma Shri, Padma Bhusan, and Padma Vibhushan. The list comprises 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan, and 107 Padma Shri Awards.
In the year 2022, we have 5 people from Karnataka who have made it to the list, here are their names:
- He has been a pioneer of the Dalit literary movement in Karnataka called the Bandaya Sahitya literary movement. He is also the founder of the Dalit Sangharsha Samiti and has also served as MLA and MLC in the Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
- Amai Mahalinga Naik
- This popular Kannadiga is known for his work of translating barren pieces of land into a farm that gives rise to Areca, Coconut, Cashew among others. He became popular during the scarcity of water which he overcame with his ideas and hard work.
- Subanna Ayappan
- Notable personality from Karnataka has also served as a member of the planning commission and is currently the Vice-Chancellor of Central Agricultural University, Imphal. He has also held academic positions at National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- HR Keshavamurthy
- A gem from the field of Carnatic music, he has contributed immensely to the field of Gamaka for the past 5 decades. He is also called ‘Gamaka Gana Gandharva.’
- Abdul Khadar Nadakattin
- A talented farmer who introduced technology in farming and devised many tools using the same to make this more efficient and sustainable. He setup his own institue called Vishwashanti Agricultural Research Centre which has been running since the past five decades. His solutions are widely used not only in Karnataka but also in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.