Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, the one name that is in news for all the bad reasons has become the food for a discussion in the country. The violence that is happening in Haryana and Punjab over Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh’s conviction in a rape case has literally shaken the country. The followers of Gurmeet Singh and their ferocity has killed 30 and 250 are said to be injured but still, the majority of India has no idea about who the Gurmeet Singh is. To help you know about this topic, we have made things simpler. Just have a glance at these 10 points explaining the crux of Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh issue.
Highlights of Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh issue in 10 simple points
- Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh is a spiritual guru and he got convicted in a rape case by Haryana High Court. This happened after 200 hearings spread over 10 years and numerous stay orders of the high court.
- He got convicted in a 2002 case of raping two women followers.
- Dera chief will be sentenced on Monday and this is the reason for all the violence.
- The violence that has widespread from Punjab, Haryana to Delhi and Rajasthan have killed 30 people and 250 are said to be injured.
- He was flown out of Panchkula (a place in Chandigarh) in a Government helicopter to a guest house in Rothak and said to be moved to a special prison cell.
- To help control the riots caused by more than 1.5 lakh followers of Guru, the army was called into Panchakula yesterday at 5 PM. Before that, the local police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the mobs.
- If Panchakula witnessed some ferocity then Sirsa was not an exception to it. Sirsa is another Ram Rahim’s massive base. The army was deployed in Sirsa too but clashes between police and members of Ram Rahim’s sect crossed all the limits. This led to some building firings and the killing of two sect members.
- The fire of violence has also spread to the capital city. In Delhi, a bus and two train coaches of an empty train were set on fire. There was a high alert with public gatherings getting banned in major parts of the city.
- The scenes of cars burning on the road, people running without any clue, and the mass firings were common scenes in Panchkula. Two train stations were set on fire in Punjab and nearly 200 trains from Punjab and Haryana was cancelled.
- It is said that police were involved in the riot and all the news about this is taking new color and shape. The properties of Ram Rahim’s sect will be seized to compensate the damages caused to public property – Haryana High Court.
The Government has failed to control the riots. The Punjab and Haryana High Court has slammed the administration for not making adequate arrangements against the massive presence of Singh’s followers. Ram Rahim Singh has appealed to his followers in a video message to return home but devotees in Panchkula said they would continue the support by staying in the town.
Who is Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh?
Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh is the head of Dera Sacha Sauda which is an Indian-based socio-spiritual organization. It was founded by Shah Mastana of Baluchistan in 1948 and he was succeeded by Shah Satnam. In a Satsang, Satnam conferred the succession of the leadership upon Gurmeet. Rahim was just 23 years old then.
Ram Rahim is a rock star with over 200,000 following and over 3.74 million followers on twitter. This number has surpassed Sri Ravi Shankar (2.26 million) and Ram Dev Baba (938K).