Tit-Bit: It is a sigh of relief for people traveling in Jam-packed Metro trains of Bengaluru as Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited has rolled out its first six-car train in the city. Chief Minister H.D Kumaraswamy flagged off the train from Baiyappanahalli Metro station on Friday at around 6 PM.
Things to Know about the Six-Car Bengaluru Metro
1. The New Six-Car train comes with the first coach reserved for Women and it will run along the Purple line (Baiyappanahall – Mysuru road).
2. It is expected to help meet peak hour rush. The purple line was chosen since it is known to be busier than the Green line.
3. It comes with three extra coaches and will now be able to carry 2004 passengers, more than double the existing capacity of 975.
4. The first six-car metro train will run only on weekdays. It will depart Baiyappanahalli at 7:24 AM every weekday.
5. This new coach will run once every hour through the day with at least four short-loop trips between M.G road and Vijayanagar coupled with Majestic to Baiyappanahalli during morning peak hours.
6. The train will have end-to-end trips between Baiyappanahalli and Mysuru Road during evening hours to beat the peak hour rush.
The six-car metro will require maintenance on Weekends. However, the frequency of train and short-loop trips will be increased based on passengers demand, said, N M Dhokle, BMRCL official.
The introduction of extra coaches will definitely help the commuters in a way. BMRCL is expecting that this will aid in beating the peak hour rush to a certain extent. Also, with the first coach reserved for Women, the six-car Metro train was in need to handle the increased ridership which is expected to touch 5 lakh per day.
You can also Subscribe to MetroSaga for newsletters.