A menstrual cup has been around for 80 years, but it became popular just a few years ago. It is not just an alternative feminine hygiene product. It is a reusable and eco-friendly product that is being preferred by women more and more.
It is a rubber cup made from medical grade silicone. It is inserted into the vagina to collect blood and fluids during periods. It can hold blood for long hours, and according to your flow, you can wear it for up to 12 hours.
For disposing of its content, take it out, throw it in the toilet and insert it again into the vagina. The whole process may seem a bit uncomfortable initially but gets better afterward. Also, a menstrual cup can be used up to 5-10 years and has to be boiled after every cycle to keep it clean.
There are many brands of reusable menstrual cup available in the market like Moon Cup, Lunette Menstrual Cup, DivaCup, Blossom cup, and Lily Cup.
Some Benefits of menstrual cup
- A menstrual cup is safe– A menstrual cup collects blood instead of absorbing it. Thus, it is less likely that you will get toxic shock syndrome (TSS). TSS is a bacterial infection you can get due to tampon use.
- Eco-friendly– Reusable menstrual cups last for a long time (5-10 years), and you don’t have to throw them after every 5-6 hours.
- It can hold blood for a longer time– You can wear a menstrual cup for up to 12 hours depending on your blood flow.
- It is affordable– Buying a menstrual cup initially is an investment. But it lasts longer than tampons so in the long-run they are cost effective. On the other hand, expenditure on tampons amounts to up to $1000 per year.
Blossom Cup VS Diva Cup- Which one should you pick?
There are numerous brands of a menstrual cup in the market, but the Blossom Cup and Diva Cup are the most popular ones. Let’s talk about them and find out which one should you pick.
The Blossom menstrual cup is run by two women whose goal is to save Earth with pure solutions for periods. You can read more about Blossom menstrual cup here. Some of the features of the Blossom cup are:
- It is made using reusable medical grade silicone of high quality.
- It is FDA approved and is latex-free and 100% hypoallergenic.
- It is economical and comes with a satin storage pouch and instruction manual.
- It comes in 2 sizes and various colors. It has larger air holes than other cups which makes releasing it easier.
In the year 2011, Carinne and her mother Francine came up with the design of Diva Cup menstrual cup. Some features of this menstrual cup are:
- It has a manufacturing unit in Canada.
- They are hygienic, comfortable and convenient to use.
- It is reusable and affordable to use.
- It can be worn for up to 12 hours.
- It is made using 100% medical grade silicone.
- A DivaCup comes in two sizes.
Blossom Cup VS Diva Cup
Blossom cup cost $13.44 while DivaCup cost $34. Also, the blossom cup is more economical than most of the brands of menstrual cups.
Both the cups are available in two sizes- small and large. A blossom cup’s length is shorter than Diva Cup which means the latter can hold more blood. Also, the Diva Cup has better firmness than blossom cup.
DivaCup is available in only one color. On the other hand, the Blossom Cup comes in twelve colors.
You can buy a diva cup from any store due to its popularity. A blossom cup is relatively new, and you can buy it from Amazon or its official site.
Both cups have 1000+ positive reviews on Amazon so, there is no doubt about their quality and utility.
Things you need to consider is that the Blossom cup is more affordable than DivaCup. It even comes with a user manual making it very easy to use for anyone. On the other hand, the Diva Cup is better if you have heavy flow as it can hold more blood.
The decision rest with you, price-wise Blossom cup is best. While DivaCup is better for a woman with heavy flow. So, buy a cup that suits your need.