On Sunday, in a piece of sad news, nine people succumbed to a fire that broke out in hotel Swarna Palace in Vijayawada. The hotel was a dedicated COVID-19 facility, as per a report in India Today.
The Andhra Pradesh government had hired the hotel for treating COVID-19 patients. While seven people have died in the fire, more than 30 people have been rescued from the fire. The rescued people have been shifted to a nearby hospital.
As per the report, the incident took place at around 5 am on Friday morning. After the rescue operation, there are 22 people are being treated in the hospital. The rescue team has evacuated the entire building. The initial reports suggest that the fire broke out because of a short circuit but further investigation will be done. The District collector Mohammad Imtiaz has confirmed.
Jagan Mohan Reddy Announces Ex-Gratia
The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Jagan Mohan Reddy took to twitter and expressed his shock and grief over the accident. He has also reportedly spoken to authorities to inquire about the incident. He has also directed the authorities to take up necessary required measures and admit the injured immediately to the nearby hospital.
Jagan Mohan Reddy also announced an ex-gratia of Rs. 50 lakh for the family of victims and ordered an extensive inquiry into the accident. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also took to twitter and said,
“Anguished by the fire at a COVID center in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister @ysjagan ji and assured all possible support.”
The incident comes days after eight people were killed in a similar fire at a private hospital in Navrangpura area of Ahmedabad.
Source: Free Press Journal