Sardar Patel Stadium commonly known as Motera Stadium in Gujarat will be the worlds biggest cricket stadium. The new stadium will be the largest cricket stadium in the world with a seating capacity of 1,10,000 spectators, overtaking the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.
India’s Biggest Cricket Stadium
Located in Gujarat, the Motera is currently under construction and will be completed by next year. The ground having a seating capacity of 1.16 lakh will also leave behind Kolkata’s Eden Garden which has up to 80,000 seating capacity. Gujrat Cricket Association’s Vice president Parimal Nathwani had posted some latest pictures from the ground and had written that it’s going to be a dream project for the nation.
World's Largest Cricket Stadium, larger than #Melbourne, is under construction at #Motera in #Ahmedabad,#Gujarat. Once completed the dream project of #GujaratCricketAssociation will become pride of entire India. Sharing glimpses of construction work under way. @BCCI @ICC #cricket pic.twitter.com/WbeoCXNqRJ
— Parimal Nathwani (@mpparimal) January 6, 2019
Earlier this stadium had a capacity of 54,000 seats, it was in 2015 the ground was demolished to allow for a big-scale renovation.
These are the facts about the stadium that you may want to know.
1. The infrastructure of the stadium is expanded up to 63 acres and will have a beautiful clubhouse with over 50 rooms, 76 corporate boxes, four dressing rooms, three practice grounds, an indoor cricket training academy, an Olympic size swimming pool, a parking area that can accommodate about 3,000 four-wheelers and over 10,000 two-wheelers.
2. Larson & Toubro (L&T) are responsible for the construction of the property and renowned architecture firm M/s Populous was given the charge of designing the stadium. Interestingly, Populous is the same firm which has designed the Melbourne Cricket Stadium.
3. The foundation stone of the stadium was laid in Jan 2018 and the total cost of building the stadium is estimated up to 700 crores.
4. The ground will be having parking facilities for 3,000 cars and 10,000 two-wheelers. It is also set to have an indoor cricket training academy.
5. It is reported that this project was an idea of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was once the President of Gujarat Cricket Association.
6. The stadium will have a solar power plant inside the stadium premises which will provide electricity in all parts of the stadium. Lubi Solars have been given the contract and hence it will be responsible for the supply and commissioning of this rooftop solar power plant of the stadium.
7. The ground has witnessed some of the historic moments like the 10000th Test run of Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev’s record-breaking 432nd Test wicket and Sachin Tendulkar’s first career Test double hundred.