Total 42 Goods and Products from Karnataka are recognized as a Geographical Indication which is the highest number of tags by a state. Among the 42 products, Mysuru alone gets the tag of 18 such products.
Mysuru alone gets 18 Tags in the state
Recording the highest number of Geographical Indication (GI) in the map of India, Mysuru alone gest the total of 18 such recognitions. These products include Mysore Betel Leaf, Mysore Jasmine, Mysore Paintings, Mysore Sandal Soap, etc.
For the total of 42 products in the state, 20 are handicrafts, 18 are agriculture products, 3 are manufacturing goods and 1 is a foodstuff. The country has marked 617 such tags overall. India as a member of the World Trade Organisation has the rights to get specific tags in its region.
To get the GI tag, the product should belong to the territory of a member, or a region or a locality in that territory, where a given quality, reputation or property of the good is primarily attributable to its geographic foundation.
Name of few states and its GI
- J&K: Pashmina, Hand-Knotted Carpet, Papier Mache, Walnut Wood Carving.
- Karnataka: Channapatna Toys & Dolls, Mysore Sandal Soap, Mysore Jasmine
- Himachal Pradesh: Kangra Paintings, Kullu Shawl, Chamba Rumal.
- Nagaland: Naga Mircha, Chakshesang Shawl, Naga Tree Tomato.
- Assam: Muga Silk, Joha Rice, Tezpur Litchi.
- Manipur: Shaphee Lanphee, Wangkhei Phee, Moirang Phee, Kachai Lemon
- West Bengal: Darjeeling Tea, Santiniketan, Leather Goods, Khirsapati (Himsagar), Mango
- Meghalaya: Khasi Mandarin, Memong Narang
- Bihar: Madhubani Paintings, Bhagalpur Silk, Sikki Grass Work of Bihar
- Uttar Pradesh: Varanasi Glass Beads, Lucknow Chikan Craft, Mango Malihabadi Dusseheri, Banaras Brocades, and Saris
- Rajasthan: Blue Pottery of Jaipur, Kathputlis, Sanganeri Hand-Block Printing
- Gujarat: Agates of Cambay, Kutch Embroidery, Patan Patola
- Madhya Pradesh: Chanderi Fabric, Leather Toys of Indore, Ratlami Sev
- Chhattisgarh: Bastar Dhokra, Bastar Wooden Craft, Bastar Iron Craft
- Odisha: Konark Stone Carving, Pattachitra, Ganjam Kewda Flower
- Maharastra: Puneri Pagadi, Nashik Valley Wine, Mahabaleshwar Strawberry, Warli Painting
- Telangana: Silver Filigree of Karimnagar, Hyderabad Haleem, Narayanpet, Handloom Sarees
- Andra Pradesh: Pochampalli Ikat, Kondapalli Bommallu, Tirupathi Laddu
- Tamil Nadu: Kancheepuram Silk, Coimbatore Wet Grinder, Thanjavur Paintings, Temple Jewellery of Nagercoil
- Kerela: Aranmula Kannadi, Palakkadan Matta Rice, Balaramapuram Saris, and Fine Cotton Fabrics